Saturday, March 15, 2014

My kitchen Renovation

Well my VERY long kitchen renovation may just be coming to an end!  I'm getting really excited! 
I've had many friends and customers ask how it's going so I thought I would share a little of the process up to this point.  When I first began I really had no clue how much things would be.  Pinterest and Houzz is such a wonderful way to get ideas but there really should be a BIG WARNING that goes along with these kitchens.  They should all list the price so you can snap out of a dream and into reality!!   
 
The initial budget (because I had no idea how much things were) for the cabinets would have allowed for something like this!
 
 
After deciding to add more to the budget we worked with a custom company.
here are some drawings...
 
There was a ton of open shelving (which is more cost efficient than having doors).
I like the look but began to think about how functional that would be - The magic question would be who is going to dust all of that!?!

The range was set to go on the wall by the window to make it easier to vent. 
There was something about the way the hood cover seemed to be so random (like it was in the wrong spot) that I just didn't like it! I had to go back to the drawing board:)
 
After adding more to the budget I found another custom cabinet company.
 M and M cabinet and millwork in Shorewood is an amazing father and son team.  They truly care about you and your ideas.  All of the other companies require you to get someone to install (I found that strange).  With this company they do it all from start to finish (what a relief) and their pricing was an incredible deal!
 
After a very long 9 months with absolutely no kitchen (only a beverage fridge and microwave) things are being installed NOW!
 
Here are the drawings... 
 I decided to move the range to the other wall and have floor to ceiling cabinets flanking my massive window.  The sink will be centered here.  I decided to use cremone bolt hardware on the large glass cabinets - I love that look!!
Deciding on a color was a TOUGH decision!  I have always absolutely loved white kitchens but I just didn't feel like it would work with this house.  I found these kitchens with a grey/taupe color and thought this is classic and just as beautiful as white!  Now that the cabinets are starting to go in I am so happy with my decision!

I just love this color especially with gold!
 


Picking out the counters
 I decided to get what everyone has advised me NOT to get!  I am doing it, I am getting marble!  Honestly I really, really tried to find something else that was close to the look of marble but it does not exist!  Nothing looks like marble but marble!

When I went to the supplier I thought I would be choosing calcutta gold marble but found something I liked more.  Vermont Imperial Danby marble is known for being an easier marble to care for - crossing my fingers that this is true!  What I like about this marble is that it's very uniform but still has pretty veining.  Here is one of the slabs I chose ...

Here it is with my sample cabinet.

Appliances
This is the only area my fiancĂ© has expressed a strong opinion so I caved.
I wanted...
Isn't this Lacanche range beautiful!  I love the mix of stainless and gold.  I am a little sad right now reflecting on how much I loved this range!  He didn't like that the service would be a hassle since it is not common in the US and I sort of agree (but don't tell him).

He wanted...
A wolf single oven with red knobs.
I really don't care for the red knobs but I have an appreciation for the quality of this brand.

Compromise...
We ordered this oven and a half - the size I like but the brand he likes (it still has those bright red knobs though)!

All of the other appliances will be covered with panels so the kitchen should look pretty seamless!

I'll post some pics of the progress in a few days so check back!!
I've learned a TON so about kitchen renovations through this process so convo me if you have kitchen questions!
XO Traci
 

28 comments:

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

How exciting!!!
Loving the items you are selecting. It's going to be stunning!

Keep us posted.
:)
Alison

redbirdv said...

HA -- Traci.
I am reading your blog posts backward, so I already commented on the uppers door hardware.
I thought you'd probably know the real name of them, + voila!
Post #2, + there it is!
Cremone SP?
P.S. I am MAD about red knobs!

Serendipity Refined said...

Hi Traci! Contact Wolf...they actually have BLACK knobs that you can order to replace the red ones...I know this because I had a Wolf cook top for the last 12 years and I had 2 sets of knobs because red didn't match my kitchen! Love your choices!

Devel Aus said...

Whichever kitchen renovation you want to go ahead with, our experienced interior designs can help you to realise your vision. For further information about the kitchen and dining room design services and renovations which Devel provide CALL US- 0487 111 100.
----------------------
Kitchen renovations
Kitchen designs

roomservice0295 said...

I found your website the other day and after reading a handful of posts, thought I would say thank you for all the great content.
Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here more often.To get new information visit here
Kitchen showrooms Gold Coast
Kitchens Gold Coast
Gold Coast Kitchens

goldcoastkitchens1 said...


I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.
To get new information visit here
Gold Coast Kitchens
Kitchen showrooms Gold Coast

Ummey Rezwana said...

It is truly a great and helpful piece of information.
I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.
Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. I know something information, to know you can click here
bathroom renovations ipswich
ipswich bathroom renovations

Keara Littner said...

I really want to get some remodeling done in my kitchen. I have kind of an older home, and I don't think that any major renovations have been done in it since it was built. It would be so nice to get everything updated and more modern looking! I figure that the kitchen would be a pretty good place to start.
Keara Littner | http://www.wholesalekitchenssydney.com.au

Group Ams said...

this is a good example of home renovation, and in present time every one want to decorate his house same as looking in this post.
Home Renovations Gold Coast

Homer Collins said...

Seems like the renovation is going well. I'm glad you went with your instinct and decided to get marble, despite what everyone else had said. It's your kitchen and you should have to go with what you want. I think your new kitchen would look good in marble. I would really love to hear more of how the renovation goes. Keep us updated, dear! All the best! :)

Homer Collins @ Pinnacle Group

bizvideoaustralia Lori said...

such a great posting....thanks

Ummey Rezwana said...

I really appreciate on your post.... and I got an usefull information about the matter... I just tried to write the same post...
Kitchens Gold Coast
Gold Coast Kitchens

Anita Mas said...

I love the built in cupboards. They make organizing the dishes so much easier. They have a nice look as well.

Anita Mas | http://www.raybrownejoinery.com.au

Bud furn said...

Nice Blog , Keep sharing more blog .

Kitchen Renovation | Home Renovation

katysewell12 said...

I really like the champagne color of the cabinets. I think that is a color I would like to use in my own kitchen. My husband is finally allowing me to update our old looking kitchen. Now I just need to get ideas and finalize what I want to do. http://hollywoodbathrooms.com.au/kitchen-renovation/

Shoriful Islam said...


Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......again Kitchen showrooms Gold Coast please visit this and take more information.

Hendry Tan said...

Stunning~ thank for sharing.

Pedro Cintas said...

Oh boy. My wife wants to renovate our kitchen next year and looking at this makes me realize how much work it will be. She is wanting to go all out and completely change everything. Maybe we'll have to look into hiring someone to do it for us. I don't love working on projects like this anyway.
http://www.wholesalekitchenssydney.com.au

trademarkconstruct said...

Yes, without any doubt Kitchen is major selling point when it comes to selling a house. You have shared some good ideas to make them look perfect and there are companies that can help with Kitchen renovation in Baltimore.

Elizabeth Shuler said...


Hi There, I just spent a little time reading through your posts,which I found entirely by mistake whilst researching one of my projects.
To get new information visit here...Kitchen showrooms Gold Coast

kitchens gold coast

Yan Kah Luke said...

Awesome!!! I think that is a color I would like to use in my own kitchen cabinet!

Roger Pace said...

I have a good friend that's getting ready to do some kitchen renovations so that he can surprise his wife when she comes home from basic training in a couple of months. He asked me to help him out, but I don't know to much about this kind of stuff. I thought I would get some insights on how its done so that I can help him out when it comes time to start building. This helped a ton, and I can't wait to get started.

http://www.avado.com.au

Roger Pace said...

I have a good friend that's getting ready to do some kitchen renovations so that he can surprise his wife when she comes home from basic training in a couple of months. He asked me to help him out, but I don't know to much about this kind of stuff. I thought I would get some insights on how its done so that I can help him out when it comes time to start building. This helped a ton, and I can't wait to get started.

http://www.avado.com.au

http://shuttermanufacture.com/ said...

We offer the best quality shutters for the lowest price.
Affordable Plantation Shutters

Claire Reynolds said...

Thanks for sharing! I am thinking about getting some renovations done on my kitchen. I think that a sketch like that would be really helpful. I think your blog will be very helpful. http://www.bowtiekitchenssydney.com.au

CabinetMakers said...



This is an informative post review. I am so pleased to get this post article. I was looking forward to get such a post which is very helpful to us. Keep it up.
I know something information, to know you can click here..Kitchen showrooms Gold Coastkitchens gold coast

Nancy Jorden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sampson Greenovich said...

I drew up a plan like the above before renovating my kitchen. It was drawn years in advance, mostly because I had such great ideas back then. I really wanted a specific design, now I can have it.

http://www.bowtiekitchenssydney.com.au/